Thought you knew bartending? Think again.
Margarita, Negroni, Cosmo… you know the classics. But can you carve intricate fruit garnishes or recite long-lost tiki recipes? Step into Polynesia with this dynamic course and add rare professional skills to your CV. Discover the ingenious preparation and innovative presentation of tiki cocktails that will help you unlock your creativity in all areas of bartending. Learn to concoct homemade cordials, create bespoke glassware for any drink, and get inspired by the theatricality which with tiki drinks are served. This course will open your mind to the endless possibilities of mixing, decorating, and serving cocktails.
What you’ll get up to
Here’s a sneak peek at the fun new skills you’ll be developing...
Tiki mug modelling
Homemade syrup producing
Decorating & serving
Designed by an expert
This course is a true tiki treat, thought up by no other than our Regional Manager André Sousa. He’s a rum aficionado and tiki culture enthusiast, so you can rest assured that you’re learning the real recipes and practising the proper tiki ways. He’s been in the bartending industry for 15 years now, nine of which he’s dedicated to instructing our students and passing on his wisdom. We are certain you’ll have just as much fun taking the course as André did developing it.
Course Content Overview
We’ll cover the history, strains, and applications of sugar cane. Some sugar-based products created during the course include:
- Homemade molasses
- Basic syrups: simple, rich, and rock candy
- Flavoured syrups: honey, vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, passion fruit, and raspberry
- Tiki syrups: shrubs, orgeat, falernum, and grog batter
There’s a rich history behind this spirit, and with it come many variations and categories. Complete with tastings, we will cover the most recent updates in the industry and production styles such as:
- Pure single rum
- Agricole rum
- Pure single agricole rum
- Single blended rum
- Traditional rum
When we talk about the tiki phenomenon, we cannot not mention the names that revolutionised the way cocktails were made after Prohibition ended:
- Ernest Raymond Beaumont Gantt (Don the Beachcomber)
- Victor Jules Bergeron Jr. (Trader Vic)
- Ray Buhen
- Mariano Licudine
With two exhaustive workshops during the course, you will gain the skills to embellish any drink with charming edible models. The garnish workshop includes the following:
- Basic tools
- Flammable citrus & spices
- Basic fruit carving (jellyfish lime)
- Banana dolphin
- Pineapple parrot
- Leaf weaving of coasters
- Leaf weaving of a grasshopper
- Zest ships & edible flowers
The clay workshop is divided into two parts and includes:
- Basic tools
- Clay handling and storage
- Shaping and modelling
- Carving and decorating
- Painting and varnishing
The group will make an average of 4 drinks per day. On the last day, you will have the opportunity to freestyle and create your own tiki cocktail with a personalised garnish and glass, showcasing everything you’ve learnt during the course.
- Receive one week of instructor-led training
- A balance of theory classes and practical sessions
- Get the know-how to make a product from raw ingredients
- Learn about tiki and everything around this culture
- Discover the long-lost recipes of some of the most iconic tiki cocktails through 80 years of cocktail history
- Produce your own spiced rum and custom tiki mugs
- Receive a graded certificate
Relax, We’ve Got You Covered
Yes! You can choose to stay at EBS accommodation. Most of our students stay with us as it's the best way to socialise during the course. Check out the school pages to find out more about individual accommodation.
No, students from all over the world attend our courses so you need to make your own way to the school. Our course advisers can help you find the cheapest way to your chosen destination.
Yes! You can book the course now and spread the cost. Use our flexible payment option to pay for your course in 3 instalments. The first one is only 20% of the course price. The second and third payments are 40% each.
for the Tiki Course