Step into Christmas with this dreamy drink recipe. The Tom and Jerry cocktail isn't just a milky-spiced punch, it's a complete festive experience. Forget about Eggnogs, Snowballs and Baileys cocktails, this is the real creamy cocktail of the holiday season!
Here's how to make a Tom and Jerry Cocktail (and the batter, too)...
- 30ml dark rum
- 30ml Cognac
- 1 tbsp Tom and Jerry batter (see below for recipe)
- Hot milk to top (full fat)
- Garnish: ground nutmeg and ground allspice
Method: 3 steps
- Step 1 - Take your serving mug and add the dark rum, Cognac and Tom and Jerry batter to it.
- Step 2 - Top up the cocktail with warm milk and give it a little stir.
- Step 3 - Finish off your Tom and Jerry Cocktail by dusting some ground nutmeg and allspice on top. Powdered sugar and cinnamon is another common garnish, if you're not a fan of nutmeg.
Want some more creamy, wintery Christmas delights? Take a look at these easy Christmas cocktails, to get make sure you have a cool Yule.
How to make Tom and Jerry batter
What's key to the Tom and Jerry cocktail recipe is the batter itself. However, this isn't really something you can buy, and nor would you want to.
The batter is a rich mixture of spices, sugar and butter, that when added to the cocktail recipe, provides a creamy, silky texture. Given the amount of ingredients, you can really tailor the recipe to your taste buds.
It's actually super easy to make and takes this warm milk punch to another level...
- 6 eggs
- 30ml Jamaican dark rum (spiced rum)
- 220g unsalted butter
- 550g sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Step 1 - Separate the eggs into egg yolks and egg whites.
- Step 2 - Beat the egg whites and salt together until stiff peaks form.
- Step 3 - In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks until well combined.
- Step 4 - In a third bowl, mix the butter and sugar together until it's a fluffy texture.
- Step 5 - Take this last bowl and stir in the egg yolk mixture and vanilla extract.
- Step 6 - Into the same bowl, add the egg whites, spices and dark rum. Combine well and you have yourself the Tom and Jerry batter.
This batter recipe can be used to make over 10 T&J's. You'll only need a tablespoon of the batter in the cocktail recipe for one serving. Now, go and enjoy your festive drink!
Give your guests (or yourself) the ultimate boozy gift this year in the shape of a Christmas Margarita. An elegant blend of tequila, cranberry juice and lime juice, that won't disappoint the party.
Feeling inspired to get behind the bar and get cocktail making? Learn about our bartender course and how it can help you become a master in bartending!